I’ve spent a lot of time in the last week working on those two teddy bears that I promised to my friend. Of course, it was too much to ask that the construction of these little bears would go smoothly, and naturally, it didn’t.
The end result? I had to make a 3rd bear because I wasn’t satisfied with the ‘look’ of one of the bears.
Because they are both going to the same family, I felt that the bears needed to look quite a bit alike, so that neither child felt they got a lesser present. My first two bears didn’t look at all alike, in spite of the fact that I used the same pattern for both. Bear #3 fits the bill perfectly. But of course construction of bear #3 was not without its problems. Wrong size safety eyes (to make the bears child safe) meant that the head had to be unconstructed and the eyes needed to be cut off, carefully, so as not to damage the fur as I had absolutely no extra fabric after cutting out the pattern. After installing the correct size eyes, I discovered that the seams near the eyes were fraying badly, (why couldn’t I have noticed that before I installed the replacement eyes?) so I had to re-stitch by hand as the eyes were in the way for sewing on the machine. I also used some fray check as an extra guarantee.
But I did finally manage to get the 3rd bear done, and I’m very happy with the way he turned out. I think the children will love their new playmates. I still think they need little sweaters, so that’s the next project.
Last year my DD came for a visit shortly before Christmas and had with her a mink stole that her husband found when cleaning out one of their storage units that had been abandoned by the renter. Would I like it, she asked. Well, of course, I said yes – so now, finally, I’ve ordered some sticky cloth, and when it arrives, I’ll take the stole apart and start making a real fur bear that I think I’ll give to DD for Christmas. In the meantime, I need to get back to the block of the month paper piecing as I’m starting to fall behind.
After a very slow start, my vegetable garden is finally starting to produce a few salad fixings! Lettuce, green onions and radishes are finally ready to be eaten, although two hot sunny days have caused my spinach patch to bolt. But the vendors at our Farmer’s Market have lots to choose from and this past Saturday I got a wonderful bunch of beets and some new potatoes. Unfortunately, I arrived too late to score some of the first of the local strawberries. Maybe next weekend.