This week seemed like a good time to start in on the treadle cabinet restoration project for a 4 drawer cabinet that will house my Singer 66. I bought the cabinet from e-bay, knowing it needed some TLC. It was missing the center drawer, but I was able to replace it with one found on e-bay. The drawers all had their original hardware, which is somewhat unusual for vintage pieces, but the case was missing a piece. The price was very right, so I figured I could put some elbow grease into it and have a nice cabinet. (I'd searched in this area for a long time for a functioning cabinet, but all the folks here seem to take the tops off the treadle bases and turn them into side tables. Nothing wrong with that, I just wanted one that worked as an actual treadle.)
So far, I've used denatured alcohol to take off the shiny finish (I'm not totally stripping it down), and glued where the veneer was separating from the wood. I still have a place where the veneer will need to be patched in, a piece to make for case that holds the drawers, and then refinish it. A retired shop teacher in our area will help make the missing drawer case piece and most likely help with the veneer patch. DH cleaned up all the iron pieces and helped with the glue.
I'm looking forward to putting it all back together and start treadling away. I'll post a picture when it is (hopefully) restored to its former glory.