Okay, I finally finished my pickle dish block. One photo shows what happened when I followed the photo and the other the words. I know this block seems difficult but truly it wasn't. I did end up adding the eye and the background using a method that they taught us 100 yrs ago. I folded the eye and background piece in half...marked the half points, then folded the fan in half and marked the middle of it.... Then I matched them to each other and pinned. I sewed from the center out. With this method I only used 1 pin and this sewing method helps to keep the block square. I know you think I'm nuts for doing this pattern but I picked it because so many of my scraps are left over binding strips and with only a 2" wide piece I was able to get the fan template to fit. Yes, I do love the 9-patch and I could have done that but what can I say other than "I'M NUTS!"
There is no way I can square up this block or have a 1/4" seam alllowance.