Quilt With Us

General Suggestions:

• Read through each lesson before you start cutting and sewing
  • Follow the cutting layout suggestions in Perfect Points Sampler: Introduction to utilize your fabric most effectively and have enough for all five lessons
  • If you tend to sew fast, slow down for this sampler
  • Determine the seam allowance size needed to make each block the correct size
  • You do not always need to use the method for making half-square triangles (HSTs) and Flying Geese described in the lesson instructions if you want to try other methods. The goal is to find which method helps you sew the most precisely.
  • Utilize the tutorials on the Connecting Threads website to help with any techniques or learn more about alternate methods.

Precision Piecing:

Precise piecing involves careful cutting, pinning, sewing, pressing and trimming. If each of these steps is successful, blocks will finish the correct size and fit together well. The quilt will lay flat and be squared-up well for quilting. I will address these topics individually.

Question: Do your blocks always finish the correct size?

The Perfect Points Sampler has several blocks of different sizes and many points to match! It is very important, that each block end up the correct size for this sampler to go together well. Most of the blocks are 8" or 4" finished. Some odd-sized blocks have "frames" to make them fit. Precise piecing is needed to make all those blocks fit and points match!

I tried summarizing my thoughts on this topic in a blog post but it was too long! Please download and read the attached PDF:Perfect Points Sampler: Ann's Thoughts on Precision Piecing. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this subject - now and/or as you improve through the quilt-along.

Other Resources:

For this week's topics, please check out the CT tutorials at:

www.connectingthreads.com/tutorials/quilting_tutorials.html

There are tutorials (written and video) on sewing several topics. This week I recommend that you check out the following:

• How to Sew an Accurate Quarter Inch Seam Size (shows making a seam guide and using a 1/4" foot)
  • Pressing Tip (demonstration of pressing to minimize distortion with triangles - very important!)
  • Nine-Patch Lesson 1 (reviews testing seam accuracy, pressing, nesting of seams; good practice)
  • Nine-Patch Lesson 2 (note the "two ruler" method for aligning the ruler for cuts)
  • To Prewash or Not to Prewash? (summary of the pros and cons)
  • Flying Geese tutorials (view all of them to learn about different methods to try and see which works best for your precision)
  • Glossary of Terms (for those of you new to quilting or want a review)

Views: 5044

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

First.  Thank you for doing this tutorial.  I did the Flying Geese your way and then threw them away.  Was determined and did again and they are good.  I usually use Eleanor Burns Flying Geese ruler, but this worked fine.  Now I am starting the Square in a Square.  Went back and looked, but cannot see any directions to mark the 2 1/2 squares diagonally.  Should I?  I hate to assume, but do not see it on the fabric sheet or the cutting sheet.  Thanks.

I just received my fabric and am having a terrible, frustrating time even MAKING the flying geese! And I haven't even started the pinning together/points part! :(  I have a QUESTION: when you insert the positioning pin into the ws point and then into the rs seam allowance on the geese, do you MARK the 1/4" line on the seam allowance of the second goose so you know where to insert the pin? Thank you!

Angie, I see you don't have another reply yet so I'll try to help.  If I were doing it per the instructions, yes, I would draw a 1/4 inch line on the back of the other piece to help line it up.

I found that no matter what I did my flying geese never came out without at least one short corner.  And yes, I followed all of the various instructions for making flying geese and was a thread or two over the line towards the point when I sewed.  What I finally ended up doing, and now have perfect flying geese is this:

I cut the corner squares 1/4 inch larger than what is called for, so instead of a 2 1/2 inch square, I cut it as a 2 3/4 inch square.  Then instead of drawing a line to divide each square, I mark a line 2.5 inches from one side of the "goose" (rectangle) part and draw a line from where that hits the side to the corner.  What this does is creates a sewing line for me.  I then put the square on the rectangle rights sides together but with a thread or two overlapping on the edges and sew on the line I drew.  After I sew, cut and press that first corner open,  I do the same for the other side making sure that the lines intersect so that I have a Flying Goose block and not a parallelogram. You then have enough overlap to square up the corner nicely.  You might want to make a sample first to see how this works for you. Good Luck!

Thank you for sharing this method, Cecilia. The picture was very helpful. I'm glad to have another method I can try.

RSS

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service