Quilt With Us

I am opening this forum for those in the Dear Jane group, who want to learn Electric Quilt, by drafting the blocks in the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt.

Views: 535

Replies to This Discussion

I'm working on it and will attempt to add an attachment with my Farmer's Wife blocks soon. Things have been a little busy around here..........................
Susan, am I on the right track? I've drafted several blocks from the Farmer's Wife Quilt. I have only line drawings--I haven't colored them in. I kind of got stuck on block #32 Farmer's Daughter. I'm not sure how to divide 6 by 5. I know the answer is 1.2. but I'm not sure how to do that in EQ6. I'm going to attempt to upload my files.................................
Attachments:
Janet,
In PatchDraw, select your line using the 'Shape' tool. Right click and select 'Edit'. This will open a little window where you can select 'Partition' or 'Stagger', and set the number to five. Partition will divide the line into 5 equal sections, and stagger will divide the line into 5 segments with the end segments one half the size of the other segments. Try each one to see how it works. Remember Undo will put the line back to a solid line. Nodes will divide the line and you can draw from node to node and the line will connect to the nodes. Make sure you have the 'snap to nodes' option turned on. I won't be able to open your project until tomorrow. I am at a quilting retreat at a camp. The internet connection is very slow. I can't wait to see your project. --Susan
I recently reprinted my templates, as I posted to the main group here. Last night I made my first block using them & it came out great, right size & all! It's the Ozark Maple Leaf block & will post a pic when I get around to taking some more, lol! I like this block size cause it's the same as some other sampler blocks I have been making too, so they all become interchangeable, which will be fun, since all mine are scrappy anyway...
Just a thought..if anyone else doing this quilt, doesn't have EQ, would like the pdf file of all the templates bunched together, making a total of just fourteen pages, here is the pdf file! Enjoy!

FarmersWife.pdf
I know I'm really late to this party - but I just bought my Farmer's Wife book yesterday. I'm planning on working on this and my DJ at the same time - this one to give myself a bit of a break because the DJ blocks are super small!
Hi Everyone. I am making the FWS. I have fabric picked for about 35 blocks so far and have made 11. I have the EQ disk and it is great. I have used it to print the foundation pp patterns for some of the more tedious blocks. I have SBS book as well and want to get started on that in batiks and hand dyes.
I have been buying civil war fabric like crazy so i will have a ton left when i finish the FWS. I have the DJ software for EQ but i never bought the book. Am i going to have any problems making the quilt without the book?
This group seems to have given lots of tips along the way and i D/l your pdf's Susan. There seems to be a lot of tips on the DJ website as well. I also have the Dear Hannah software.
I will definitely be piecing by machine.
Welcome to the group! Everyone has been quiet lately, so I'm really glad to see some activity going on. A few of us from my 'bee' have ordered the block a month from Homestead Hearth to do the Farmer's Wife blocks. We are up through #35 and just received 36-40 yesterday. So far, I have been able to keep up. I prepare the foundation and/or rotary cutting instructions for my group. None of them are interested in drafting their own. I don't know why! LOL I LOVE drafting the blocks in EQ (I got version 7 yesterday, but haven't really looked into what is different or new). I think drafting blocks is my 'calling'!
Susan, I so envy your calling. I need to just "bite the bullet" and learn an EQ version to draft blocks. Since doing Dear Jane, I LOVE paper piecing. In fact, I have found that I prefer to draw my own paper piecing patterns by hand instead of doing traditional piecing. I definitely need to get in a frame of mind for EQ something, wouldn't you say? Is there a version called EQ for Dummies?

I am doing Farmer's Wife, too, as a block of the month (although it is in truth 10 blocks a month) through Quilting by the Bay. They send a 6" black line draft of the block along with the fabric, and I am able to cut it up and use it for paper piecing patterns. There aren't seam lines, of course; but that is fine because then I don't have to tear the paper out of the seam lines. When I trim the blocks I remember to add that 1/4" for the seam allowance, and it works great! I am doing Sylvia's Bridal Sampler as a 10 blocks a month, too.
Jackie,
I really learned EQ when I drafted the Jane blocks. I knew very little until then. I'm one of those people who need to have a reason to so something. Just sitting and trying to learn EQ didn't work for me. But, drafted the Jane blocks gave ma a purpose and a reason. I do not regret any of it. I have had such a good time with it. When I got stumped, that just make me dig deeper to try and figure out how to make it work. Even though you have finished your Jane, it would still be fun to draft the blocks in EQ. Sometimes you have to change a seam or two to be able to do foundation piecing, but that is fun to do too.
Our block a month is actually 5 a month. I'm glad our's isn't 10, I don't think I could keep up with ten. LOL Where are you getting the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler? I haven't seen that one at any of the shops I visit on the net.
SBS is through Stitchin' Heaven in Texas. The blocks for SBS and FW come within a couple of days of each other, and I have completed 70 blocks for each of them. It's a bit of a challenge to keep up with 20 blocks a month, but I am enjoying it very much. I have to make a confession here, though: I am skipping the applique blocks on SBS. After all of the applique on DJ, I don't want to do it anymore in my whole life! I am also skipping the blocks with y-seams for the same reason. My SBS quilt will probably end up with only 120 blocks instead of 140, but that is fine with me.

Don't you think the 6" blocks seem huge after Dear Jane? And a 12" block is gargantuan!

Have you completed your hand quilting for DJ?
Block J-11 Twin Sister question

I'm working on the applique blocks. Thanks to watching Piece O Cake Designs on the Quilt Show a couple of weeks ago I am finally getting applique and loving it. I'm not sure how to approach the pieces for this block. Would you applique it as two pieces or as 6 individual pieces?
Thanks for your suggestions.
SueW
Upstate NY

RSS

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service