Quilt With Us

This weeks tutorial is very basic.  No rotary cutting involved, just assembling a simple nine patch block.  I'd like to know who all is attending this quilt along, so I'll know how beginner you are.  So please take a moment to introduce yourself in this discussion and tell us how long you've been quilting, or general sewing.  Tell us if you've ever used a rotary cutter/mat/ruler.   Don't be shy!

Views: 416

Replies to This Discussion

The ultimate thing would be to be able to box all but 2 of these up and trade them in for a new one. Oh, it would have to be an "even-steven" trade. LOLOLOL!
My Brother machine would be a good machine to take with me if I ever went anywhere that I needed to take one. I have never attended any classes but would love to. I live in the "boonies" and don't like to drive in town. I also would like to have a new machine that I could do everything with-sew, quilt, and do embroidery. I am leaning towards a Bernina since it has a stitch regulator. It will be awhile before I can get one though. I can't hardly wait.
My very first sewing machine was also a Kenmore that my DH got for me in 1968.
Aida, my memory sort of slips sometimes but, I think if I am right, I got mine for like $129.00 with a wooden cabinet and a plastic tote case. Oh the days........
I am still using a 1968 Kenmore I found in the trash a few years ago. I paid $75 to have it reconditioned. This puppy really honks when it comes to free motion quilting!
Hi my name is Liz of Craft From My Heart I love to paint and sew and love all types of crafts I am some what new in quilting and looking forward in learning new easy ways to create this beautiful pieces.
If you love to paint and love to sew, why not combine the two by doing a painted fabric quilt! They are fun and different!
Could you tell me more about this craft? I've never seen or heard of it!
HI Cheryl, There are many designs out there for hand painted fabric. I use Jacquard or sometimes craft paint. After I heat set the design, I layer the piece in the quilt sandwich and stitch around the design, embellish with accent stitching with Madiera threads of similar colors. The other fun thing to do is free form fabric dyeing or painting and allow it to dry. then quilt a design, like leaves or a forest or person or something else free form. I have some samples on my website. go to www.digitalartquilts.com/samples.html and you can see some of my hand painteds.
Hi this is Bonnie Klatt. I am a new quilter.......and I mean new. I have made one quilt and a few table runners. I am not much of a seamstress and therefore I wondered if I could learn to quilt. A friend of mine is a long time quilter and after much prodding has me interested and now I am hooked. It looks like I am one of the rare birds who likes doing hand work so I have been doing all my piecing and quilting by hand and fine it very relaxing.. We live in an rv 5 months out of the year so I don't have much space to cut out and no room for a machine if I even wanted one. I do use a rotary cutter, mat and templates too....I have not had much success with the rulers as I have severe arthritis in my hands and they move on me becuase I cannot hold them down well........but have found templates work pretty good........I am not interested in being a great quilter and doing master level work but in just enjoying myself., making something pretty and useful and sharing all this with others who find it enjoyable also. and yes my Doctor says its a great hobby for these hands....got to keep them moving.!
Welcome Bonnie!
I love hand work too! I can't decide which I like more, English Paper Piecing or hand applique! Have you ever tried EPP? Check out this group for some fanatics :)

Sounds like you've got some very reasonable goals - good for you keeping your hands busy, despite the pain.

RSS

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service