Quilt With Us

This weeks tutorial is very basic.  No rotary cutting involved, just assembling a simple nine patch block.  I'd like to know who all is attending this quilt along, so I'll know how beginner you are.  So please take a moment to introduce yourself in this discussion and tell us how long you've been quilting, or general sewing.  Tell us if you've ever used a rotary cutter/mat/ruler.   Don't be shy!

Views: 416

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Bonnie!
I love hand work too! I can't decide which I like more, English Paper Piecing or hand applique! Have you ever tried EPP? Check out this group for some fanatics :)

Sounds like you've got some very reasonable goals - good for you keeping your hands busy, despite the pain.
I would like to know more about this paper piecing....is there somewhere on this site where it describes how it is done?
Hi Cheryl,
Are you interested in English Paper Piecing or Foundation Paper Piecing? There are free videos and downloadable tutorials on EPP in our Learn section on the home page tabs. FPP will be a future Techniques 2010 feature, I think this fall.
Hi Bonnie, It's good to keep those hands busy. I, too, have difficulty with the fingers and hands. Don't limit yourself. I recently met a man with no hands who learned to sew and quilt with his feet. His work was awesome. Creativity is only limited by your mind, not your hands.
Julia
Hi! My name is Barbara, from California. I have been sewing all my life (well, at least 45 years of it) but intermittently. I just started quilting, took a beginning class recently and completed a Single Irish Chain. I look forward to many more years of quilting and learning more about it.
Hi Karen and Everyone. I sewed very little as a child. When I got married, lived away from family, and got pregnant, I made all my clothes. That was great because they didn't have to fit - just hung loose. In college (10 years after marriage), I started taking Home Econ. classes. I finally finished after several years break, in 1983 with a degree in Home Econ. For the past year I have bought fabric for tons of quilts to make, but I'm having trouble staying well long enough to actually get anything done. I have watched and taped quilting shows on PBS for years so have some intellectual knowledge but I need hands on experience and knowledge. I seem to be drawn to applique, photo and scenic quilts. After I try them, I might change my mind. I have been told they are hard to do. First, I know I need to do some basic things, so here I am. Hope you all can help me.
Love and Hugs, Dee
Welcome Dee -
Much of what you'll learn here will be basic piecing, which, I agree is good to know. This summer I'll include a month on applique - there are SO many techniques - I'm sure you'll find a method you like.

In my case, I'm brushing up on my piecing skills because I too lean towards the scenic and landscape type quilts. I consider that area much more free-form and rule free! Here are some books that can help you establish your own rules.
Well Karen, like many of us, I have been sewing for a long time. I started with helping my Dad who was an upholsterer. I could use a rotary cutter and a mat before I could write I think. That was back in the 50's. I learned about garment construction in 7th grade when my mother acquired a large box of really expensive Pendleton pleated skirts. I hate pleated skirts. I deconstructed them and made pencil skirts with matching vests.

When my children were little I started quilting, about 1979. I too learned from "Miss Ellie" burns. Most of life was spent working 16 to 18 hours a day in my beauty salon, but I always had time for quilting. At the age of 51 I had to quit the hairdressing profession for health reasons and went back to college. They didn't know what major to put me in so I got thrown into fashion. I fell in love with the computer. I could care less about fashion, but it was the computer that unleashed my creativity. I love whole cloth quilts as much as pieced quilts. I am now a designer of unique stitching designs for traditional quilting as well as longarm computer quilting. You never know where life's experiences will take you.

Julia
What a cool career path, Julia!
Hi my name is Joanne and i have been quilting for five years. I joined a local quilt guild and that gave me the confidence to start. I joined the quilt in March 2005. In September the guild held their annual quilt show. I entered seven pieces. Two of the pieces were bed quilts and my very first quilt took a blue ribbon. That was incentive enough to keep me going.

I have no idea how many quilts i have made. They are all cut using a rotary cutter and machine sewn. I have about eleven large quilt tops that i need to send off to be quilted. I do wall and lap quilts on my machine but the large ones are too cumbersome. I have fibromyalgia and sewing for very long at a time becomes very painful to my neck and shoulders. As does my second passion.... my computer.

I enjoy doing all different kinds of quilts from traditional to art. Paper piecing is very enjoyable and allows me to make medallion mariner's compass quilts. I also like designing my own quilts using EQ6 or Photoshop.

My newest craze is kaleidoscope quilts. I just ordered the program for EQ. I like trying new things and i want to make just about every quilt i see. If i lived to be a 1000 there wouldn't be enough time.

I also make some clothing as it seems alot of the members have.

I joined this group to refresh. It is funny but the difficult patterns don't bother me but a basic 4 patch often gives me trouble. Go figure. I look forward to the tips and tricks so i can use them as well as pass them on to our newbie quilters when i teach the beginner classes at our guild.

Thank you for offering this to all of us. New or old there is always something to learn or improve on.
Welcome Joanne! Sounds like you dove into quilting headfirst! I'll be doing Kaleidoscope as a tutorial this summer, so you can be prepared to offer your tips there too! There are so many options!
Hello everyone :) I am just learning how to quilt and sew, I'm teaching myself so it's been interesting. I just finished my first quilt last night and it's definitely not perfect, but I'm learning. I'm really enjoying learning how to do everything and am looking forward to learning everything I can from you all!

RSS

© 2021   Created by CT Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service